Senior Home Care Aides Offer Fall Prevention Strategies in Stoney Creek, ON and the Surrounding Area
Senior Home Care Aides Provide Fall Prevention Tips in Hamilton, Ancaster, Stoney Creek, Grimsby, and Nearby Communities
A serious fall can drastically change an older person’s life. In addition to causing a physical injury, falls can impact a person emotionally and socially. The fear of falling can cause older adults to decline social invitations and miss family functions—they might avoid leaving the house altogether. Seclusion can lead to feelings of anxiety and loneliness.
Examining risk factors and addressing hazards in the home can prevents or reduce falls. Senior Home Care by Angels Hamilton’s senior home care aides can help your loved one avoid dangerous falls.
- Every year, one in three older adults has a serious fall; one in five will sustain an injury such as a broken hip, fracture, concussion, or other trauma
- Twenty percent of older adults die within a year of a fall
- Those who fall once are more likely to fall again
- Over 800,000 people are hospitalized due to falls each year
- Recovery from injuries such as hip fractures can take up to a year in a long-term care facility; forty percent of those who fall are not able to go home again
- Fifty-five percent of falls occur inside the home; twenty-three percent happen outside, but near the home
Risk Factors to Address
Falls are caused by one or more risk factors—conditions that increase a person’s chance of falling. Risk factors may be internal such as weakness, shuffling, loss of balance, reduced flexibility, poor eyesight, arthritis, multiple medications, and dehydration. Or, they can be external, occurring in the home environment. For example, clutter, uneven floor surfaces, poor lighting, wet floors, or the lack of grab bars in the bathroom can become hazards.
Identifying and addressing risk factors promptly can prevent many falls. Although, risky behaviors such as overuse of alcohol or standing on a chair to reach a high object can also increase the likelihood of falls; these behaviors can be addressed through reminders and education. Senior Home Care by Angels Hamilton’s senior home care aides can help prevent dangerous falls.
Fall Prevention Strategies
Elderly fall prevention continues to be a challenge. Using a cane or walker may help. Our senior home care aides educate older adults and their families about fall prevention to maintain their health and well-being. Their recommendations often include:
- Remove clutter
- Improve lighting
- Add lighting and handrails to stairways
- Install grab bars and keep floors dry in bathrooms
- Use assistive devices like canes and walkers
- Place a phone in an easy-access area
- Consider a personal medical alert system
- Keep frequently used items within reach
Contact Senior Home Care by Angels Today
Senior Home Care by Angels Hamilton’s senior home care aides offers a fall prevention assessment. If you are in Hamilton or the nearby area, contact us by clicking one of the buttons below to schedule your free consultation today!
Each Senior Home Care by Angels agency is a franchise that is independently owned and operated. The Franchisor, Visiting Homecare International Inc., does not control or manage the day to day business operations of any Senior Home Care by Angels franchised agency.