Senior Homecare by Angels Offers Fall Prevention At home care in Milton, Halton Hills, Georgetown, Mississauga, and Nearby Cities
A severe fall can significantly change a person’s quality of life. In addition to causing a physical injury, falls can impact a person emotionally and socially. The fear of falling can cause older adults to decline social invitations and miss essential family functions—they might avoid leaving the house altogether. Seclusion can lead to feelings of anxiety, loneliness, and social isolation. By examining risk factors and addressing hazards in the home, some falls can be prevented. Senior Homecare by Angels Milton at home care can help your loved one avoid dangerous falls.
Numbers Tell the Story
- One in three older adults fall; one in five will sustain a severe injury such as a broken hip, fracture, concussion, or other injuries.
- Twenty percent of older adults die within a year of a fall.
- Those who fall once are more likely to fall again.
- Recovery from injuries such as hip fractures can take up to a year in a long-term care facility; forty percent of those who fall cannot go home again.
Address Fall Risk Factors
Falls are caused by one or more risk factors—conditions that increase a person’s chance of falling. Risk factors may be physical, such as weakness, shuffling, loss of balance, reduced flexibility, poor eyesight, arthritis, multiple medications, and dehydration, or risk factors that can occur in the home. For example, clutter, uneven floor surfaces, poor lighting, wet floors, or the lack of grab bars in the bathroom can be hazardous. Promptly identifying and addressing risk factors can prevent many falls.
Although behaviors such as overuse of alcohol and standing on a chair to reach a high object can also increase the likelihood of falls, these risky behaviors can be addressed through gentle reminders and education. Senior Homecare by Angels Milton at home care can help prevent dangerous falls.
Use Fall Prevention Strategies
Using a cane or walker may help your loved one avoid falls. Our at home care providers educate older adults and their families about fall prevention to maintain their health and well-being. To learn more, Senior Homecare by Angels Milton offers Safe and Steady Fall Prevention Resource Guide. General recommendations include:
- Remove clutter
- Improve lighting
- Add lighting and handrails to stairways
- Install grab bars and keep floors dry in bathrooms
- Use assistive devices like canes and walkers
- Place a phone in an easy-access area
- Consider a personal medical alert system
- Keep frequently used items within reach
Contact Senior Homecare by Angels
To learn more about fall prevention care in Milton, ON, and the surrounding areas, contact Senior Homecare by Angels Milton at 647-371-0029.
Each Senior Homecare by Angels agency is a franchise that is independently owned and operated. The Franchisor, Visiting Homecare International Inc., does not control or manage the day to day business operations of any Senior Homecare by Angels franchised agency.