Caring For Someone with Alzheimer's or Dementia
In-home Alzheimer’s care is available through Senior Homecare by Angels because we understand that seniors who have Alzheimer's need additional care and support to help manage their symptoms as they live out their golden years at home
If you’re unsure whether your senior loved one might be showing signs of Alzheimer’s or dementia, it’s critical that you share your concerns with their physician. Cognitive diseases require specialized care, and the families and individuals who navigate these diseases need special support.
These ten warning signs could mean that your aging loved one is facing Alzheimer’s or dementia:
- Memory loss that is disruptive to daily life, such as not remembering names or identities, locations of items around the home, or recent life events.
- Misplacing items, losing track of tasks or projects, and inability to retrace steps or locate lost items.
- Decreased ability to make decisions or demonstrate good judgment.
- Decreased ability to plan ahead, solve problems, or concentrate.
- Trouble understanding visual images, reading or responding to colors or contrast.
- New or worsening problems with speaking, writing or communicating.
- New or worsening confusion about time and place, losing track of dates, seasons, or time.
- Difficulty completing familiar tasks at home or at work, becoming unable to navigate projects that were once easy to complete or remember.
- Changes in personality or mood, such as fearfulness, anxiety, suspicion, or disinterest in usual activities.
- Withdrawal from social activities or interpersonal interactions, at work or at home.
If these warning signs seem familiar to you in the behavior of your aging loved one, it’s vital to have them evaluated by their physician and screened for Alzheimer’s. Bear in mind that Alzheimer’s disease is not a normal feature of aging, and shouldn’t be confused with basic forgetfulness or slowing capabilities generally. Every individual may have different experiences, but if your loved one is experiencing multiple items on this list of warning signs, take the opportunity to alert their doctor to your concerns.
Your Options for Alzheimer's Care in Canada
If your loved one has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, your next step is to figure out what kind of care is right for your loved one and your family. Like many senior care services, Alzheimer’s care can be accessed in a variety of settings: in-home caretaking, assisted living facilities, and nursing homes may all be options in your area.
Senior Homecare by Angels provides comprehensive in-home care for seniors with Alzheimer's and other memory-related illnesses. We have specialized and trained caregivers who understand the particular needs of clients who have been diagnosed with a degenerative cognitive disease. An Alzheimer’s diagnosis does not automatically mean that your loved one must leave their home for a live-in facility.
There are various treatments and therapies that comprise Alzheimer’s care that can slow the worsening of symptoms, improve quality of life, and provide relief for the client. Once a physician has diagnosed your loved one with Alzheimer’s or dementia, building a support team and choosing what kind of care to access is critical to help manage the disease.
Senior Homecare by Angels can provide around-the-clock Alzheimer's care, or for clients whose symptoms are not severe, create a custom caregiving plan based on the hours per day that our client most needs us. We also provide respite care, for when family caregivers need to step away from their caregiving responsibilities. Senior Homecare by Angels provides training to its staff directly from the Dementia Care Professionals of America, so our knowledgeable and experienced caregivers are ready to meet the needs of your aging loved one and your family today.
If you or your loved one have been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s or dementia, Senior Homecare by Angels can help.
Contact us today to learn more about our Alzheimer’s care services and the care plan we can build for you.
Each Senior Home Care by Angels agency is a franchise that is independently owned and operated. The Franchisor, Visiting Homecare International Inc., does not control or manage the day to day business operations of any Senior Home Care by Angels franchised agency.