Ready-Set-Go Home: Helping Seniors Safely Return Home from the Hospital
Senior Homecare by Angels helps seniors avoid hospital re-admissions with quality care at home
If you or your loved one has ever been admitted to the hospital, the one thing you probably longed for most was to return to the safety and comfort of your own home. Nearly one in five patients discharged from a hospital, approximately 2.6 million seniors are readmitted within 30 days, costing billions of dollars every year. Senior Homecare by Angels is committed to helping seniors stay at home where they are most comfortable. We offer a variety of care at home options with comprehensive tools and resources to assist with this endeavor.
Why re-admissions occur.
To address the high rate of hospital re-admissions, we must first understand why re-admissions occur. The reasons for re-admission are varied, but often include:
- Difficulty managing a disease or illness at home
- Exhaustion due to disrupted sleep and eating schedules while in the hospital
- Lack of follow-through with discharge instructions
- Medication issues - not taking appropriately, missing doses, etc.
- Lack of timely follow-up with medical appointments or lack of follow-through with medical instructions
Three prong approach.
At Senior Homecare by Angels, we address these issues and others by using a three-prong approach to care at home for our clients returning home after a hospital stay.
- At the hospital – with Senior Homecare by Angels, we offer peace of mind. If a Senior Homecare by Angels' client is hospitalized, we visit him or her at the hospital upon request. We believe collaboration with the hospital discharge planner is necessary to help ensure success at home. During the hospital visit, we provide our client with a copy of ‘Ready- Set – Go Home’, a discharge planning guide. Specific items in the guide prompt the client to ask pertinent questions about issues that impact readmissions, such as symptoms to report, times and dates of follow up appointments, medications, special dietary needs, home equipment needs, etc. For maximum benefit, this guide should be initiated prior to discharge and used across the care continuum from the hospital to the home and brought to subsequent medical appointments.
- At the client’s home – Our caregivers are the ‘eyes and ears’ in the home. Our franchised location Owners/Directors and Caregivers have unique insight into why clients don’t follow up with appointments, why they miss medication doses and other actions that can lead to re-admission. We can share this information with the case manager or supervisor so any issues can be addressed. Additionally, many of our caregivers are trained to provide Holistic care at home. This training enables our caregivers to understand the importance of reporting changes in condition promptly so any problems can be addressed in a timely manner.
- At the Senior Homecare by Angels office – Behind the scenes, office staff utilize tools and resources to identify and track clients who are at high risk for re-admission. Staff can help facilitate medication delivery, equipment, and food delivery services, offer medication and appointment reminders, and accompany clients to appointments.
Find A Senior Homecare by Angels Office Near You!
You can quickly locate a Senior Homecare by Angels office nearby by entering your postal code in our office locator. We look forward to meeting you and your family and being able to provide the care at home your loved one needs!
Each Senior Homecare by Angels agency is a franchise that is independently owned and operated. The Franchisor, Visiting Homecare International Inc., does not control or manage the day to day business operations of any Senior Homecare by Angels franchised agency.