Learn how getting enough sleep can benefit your senior loved one’s health and how personal home care services from Senior Home Care by Angels can help your loved one sleep soundly at night
Contrary to popular belief, seniors need as much sleep now as they did when they were younger. Sleep is important for their physical and mental well-being. However, tens of millions of adults suffer from a sleep disorder which leads to physical and cognitive issues. There are many factors that can cause sleep deprivation. Health issues, medications, frequent urination, as well as brain disorders such as Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s disease, can all lead to a lack of sleep. In addition, seniors who are in pain because of arthritis or health problems can also struggle with a sleep disorder.
In case your senior loved one suffers from insomnia, our personal home care services can help them improve their quality of life by restoring normal sleep patterns.
Sleep Deprivation Poses Health Risks for Seniors
Sleep deprivation can lead to many health problems, such as:
- Cognitive Impairment. Sleep helps to restore the brain and when seniors don’t get enough sleep, there is no production of new brain cells. Also, sleep deprivation impairs alertness and memory.
- Weakened Immunity. Without enough sleep the immune system is unable to produce enough antibodies to fight cold and infections. Since seniors already have a weakened immune system sleep deprivation can have even bigger negative effects.
- Greater Heart Disease Risk. Lack of sleep leads to higher blood pressure levels which are directly linked with heart disease and other chronic health issues.
- Increased Risk of Obesity. People who do not sleep well often crave sugary foods and carbohydrates, and therefore gain unwanted weight.
- Diabetes. Without sleep, the body starts producing less insulin that is responsible for regulating blood sugar. This is why those who suffer from insomnia are at risk of developing Type 2 diabetes.
- Anxiety and/or Depression. Sleep deprivation can lead to depression and anxiety.
Tips for Better Sleep from Senior Home Care by Angels
Luckily, with some techniques, seniors can regain a good night’s sleep. Our personal home care providers can help your loved one adopt some healthy habits that will help them sleep better, such as setting a daily schedule, not watching TV before bed, taking a warm bath before going to sleep, and avoiding late-night coffee or other drinks with caffeine. Seniors who never go outside can also develop insomnia, since their bodies are no longer capable of telling the difference between day and night. Our personal home care specialists can make sure your loved one goes outside on a daily basis and encourage them to take regular walks.
With some simple lifestyle changes your loved one can improve their sleep and achieve a greater quality of life.
If you wish to learn more about our personal home care services, please contact your local Senior Home Care by Angels office today.