At Senior Homecare by Angels, our network of in-home care agencies is committed to helping seniors throughout Canada stay safe and healthy, especially during the COVID-19 outbreak. Here are some ways our caregivers can encourage your loved one to make changes to their everyday routine that can boost their immune system.
Boosting your aging loved one’s immunity and helping them stay healthy and strong is now more important than ever. According to the Public Health Agency of Canada, coronavirus is most serious for seniors and people who are dealing with heart disease, diabetes, and other health conditions. Our network of in-home care agencies at Senior Homecare by Angels can help you keep your parent healthy and ensure they are sticking to healthy routines.
The Importance of Maintaining a Healthy Routine for Seniors in Canada
With some lifestyle changes, your aging parent can strengthen their immune system and reduce their risk of getting infected. They should focus on:
- Getting a good night’s sleep – Contrary to popular belief, seniors need just as much sleep as younger adults. To remain strong and healthy, your parent needs to get at least seven hours of sleep per night. Our caregivers can help your loved one establish a nighttime routine that can help them relax and make it easier to sleep soundly through the night.
- Maintaining a healthy diet – Specific foods can do wonders for your loved one’s immune system. As one of the leading in-home care agencies in Canada, Senior Homecare by Angels offers meal preparation and planning services. Our caregivers can go grocery shopping for your loved one and prepare them nutritious meals.
- Performing regular exercise – We can make sure your parent stays active by assisting them with low-impact exercises.
- Staying hydrated and keeping to medication schedules – Our care specialists can provide medication reminders whenever needed and ensure your parent drinks plenty of fluids throughout the day.
- Washing your hands – Now more than ever, it is important your loved one washes their hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If they need help with personal hygiene, our caregivers can assist them with bathing, dressing, grooming, and more.
Reducing Stress to Improve Health
At Senior Homecare by Angels, we understand how the COVID-19 pandemic is affecting seniors. To stay calm and reduce stress levels, your aging parent should:
- Connect with family and friends online – Even in isolation your parent can still see and talk to their loved ones. Our caregivers can help them stay connected to their friends and family members through Skype, FaceTime, and Facebook through our Social Care program.
- Take a break from the news – Listening about COVID-19 can be emotionally overwhelming, so it is important that your parent turns the TV off every now and then and spends time doing things that bring them joy.
Learn More About Senior Homecare by Angels Today
To learn how our in-home care agencies can help your loved one, contact your local Senior Homecare by Angels office today.